Welcome to my blog! I hope you enjoy reading some of my ideas about education and things I believe build an effective teacher and a well-rounded classroom! Enjoy!

About Me

My photo
Decorah, IA, United States
Hi! I'm Amanda, I am currently a sophomore at Luther College and am majoring in Elementary Education. I adore kids and cannot wait to become a teacher someday! At Luther, I am involved in Alpha Phi Omega, PALS, Cheerleading, and I work in a kindergarten classroom. In my spare time I enjoy being outdoors, traveling, biking, walking, and doing fun things with my family and friends. I try to live my life to the fullest everyday!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Reflectiveness

     Reflectiveness inside and outside of the classroom is becoming more rare as time passes.  Today, every individual lives in a fast-paced and demanding world.  Because of this vigorous lifestyle, people do what they need to do at the time they need to do it and move on...rarely ever having time to reflect or think about what they just did.  However, reflectiveness needs to be implemented more often because it is so important in helping individuals recognize and improve on their strengths and weaknesses.    
     Inside the classroom, teachers and students have a hard time reflecting.  First, there is only about seven hours during during a school day.  During this time, teachers are required to stick to curriculum-based lessons in order for students to reach state testing goals. Because of this, students are getting hammered with an immense amount of information and by the end of the day, they have learned so much that they have forgotten half of it!  Secondly, in addition to students being very busy, teachers have to stay on their toes all the time to insure each students achievements and progress.  Due to these pressures, teachers are completely worn out at the end of the day...just wanting to get their lesson plans done for the next day and go home.  
     Even though finding the time to reflect is difficult, it is vital for students, teachers, and parents.  Reflecting is vital for students, especially at the end of each lesson or the end of the day in order to review the newly learned material.  Through the reflection process, however it may be conducted, students will be more apt to pay attention while material is being taught because they will be aware of the reflection to occur later on.  In addition, during the reflection, students can ask questions and work out problems or struggles.  Teachers can also benefit from daily reflecting. First, he/she can review his/her lesson plans.  After reviewing, teachers will be able to point out what was successful and what wasn't...changing their future lesson plans accordingly.  In addition, it is important for teachers to reflect on each students' progress and the things they need additional help with.  Lastly, I feel it is very important for a teacher to reflect at least once a week in order to keep parents informed about the daily events and happenings.  Sending home these weekly reflection updates will also motivate parents to reflect more with their kids by asking them questions about the specific events that occurred throughout the week.  Because of these various benefits effect all individuals inside and outside of the classroom, reflection should be at the heart of the teaching process in order successfully monitor progress and create more communication and clarity among all.
     As a future educator, I will have to continually reflect on my classroom procedures and teachings in order to better the success and understanding of my students and myself; therefore, it is important for me to understand how I reflect most effectively.  First, it is important for me to change my setting.  Being inside the classroom I was teaching in all day would not be a good place for me to reflect because I would be too worried about organizing and getting things set up for the next day.  Therefore, it is important for me to reflect while on a walk, jog, or bike ride.  By doing this, I am by myself, cannot be distracted in any other ways, and no one else can interfere with my thinking. Also, at the end of the day, I greatly enjoy laying in my bed with the lights off thinking about that day and the day to come.  By having a designated reflection time every day, I feel I could continually better my teaching for the days to come...there will always be something I need to improve on!  
  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment