Welcome to my blog! I hope you enjoy reading some of my ideas about education and things I believe build an effective teacher and a well-rounded classroom! Enjoy!

About Me

My photo
Decorah, IA, United States
Hi! I'm Amanda, I am currently a sophomore at Luther College and am majoring in Elementary Education. I adore kids and cannot wait to become a teacher someday! At Luther, I am involved in Alpha Phi Omega, PALS, Cheerleading, and I work in a kindergarten classroom. In my spare time I enjoy being outdoors, traveling, biking, walking, and doing fun things with my family and friends. I try to live my life to the fullest everyday!

Friday, October 29, 2010

THE POWER OF ONE

     Ever since I was little, football has played a huge part in my life and I have spent every Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Sunday, and Monday night cheering on my favorite high school, college, and national teams.  Throughout all these years, I have enjoyed watching my favorite players in thriller games where they showed amazing runs, passing, and hits.  In addition, at every game, I have watched a player get injured.  During these times of injury, I always pray for the best and usually that injured member gets cheered off the field with a minor injury and shows their strength by continuing to play throughout the current game and the additional games to come.
   However, they day of October 16th was different.  I woke up in the morning ready to cheer on the Norse as they would try to defeat the 10th ranked team in Division III.  In addition, I was thrilled that my mom would be watching and my dad would be the paramedic on staff at the game.  As the cheerleaders were stretching and warming up, I said to a few of my friends, "Well, if anything happens at least we have the best paramedic in Winneshiek County here today!"  As the game progressed, Luther was putting up a strong fight. However, in a few short seconds: everything changed.
     On a kick-off return, Chris Norton, number sixteen, dove into the pile...like every other player.  However, as everyone else got up: Chris did not, he was motionless.  Athletic trainers immediately tended to Chris.  After realizing the severity of the injury, the trainers called over the paramedics.  For the next twenty minutes, the players, cheerleaders, and fans were on one knee...praying for our teammate.  Chris eventually got carried off the field and was airlifted to Mayo Clinic with a severe neck injury and the diagnosis of a 3 percent chance of moving again.
    After this dramatic event, the Luther community came together in a prayer service for Chris.  I attended this service and found it so moving and inspirational that I couldn't keep the tears out of my eyes.  To begin, Coach Durnin, the head football coach, gave a nice reflection and summary of Chris' injury and progress, while also encouraging every individuals' prayers and hopes for the best.  As the service progressed, there were various sermons and songs that were inspirational towards Chris' recovery.  However, the part of the service that moved me the most was the prayer by Coach Benny Boyd.  Coach Boyd presented his prayer in a very unique and unforgettable way.  Coach Boyd began by saying a few words about Chris and followed by singing an amazing hymn.  This song was so reflective towards Chris and the power he still has to become all that he can be, regardless of his injury.  One could hear exactly what Coach Boyd was thinking through his emotions and the powerful words of his song...making others have a strong faith in the power of God and the power of prayer.
     I continue to reflect on this service and the importance it had on so many lives throughout the Luther community.  After an event like this, it is so important to deal with thoughts and emotions in appropriate ways and this service was ideal for doing that.  First, an explination of the tragedy was given with facts about Chris' injury and condition.  Second, significant individuals in Chris' life, such as coaches and captains, had a time to talk about him and share their personal feelings.  In addition, everyone was invited to share their own prayers with the rest of the individuals in the chapel and also had the option to light a candle in honor of Chris.  Lastly, at the end of the service, students were reminded of the additional services on campus to continue our prayers for Chris' recovery.
     It is truly amazing how much power one can have on countless individuals' live.   Chris has taught and continues to teach us all to fight the good fight and have determination and a positive attitude, regardless of the circumstances we may face.  Chris has taken amazing steps towards recovery as he now has some movement in both of his arms and sensation in his legs and continues to make progress everyday.  Chris is an inspiration to all showing that we can do anything as long as we put our minds to it!


To read Chris' inspiring journal and guestbook visit: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chrisnorton.

No comments:

Post a Comment