Welcome to my blog! I hope you enjoy reading some of my ideas about education and things I believe build an effective teacher and a well-rounded classroom! Enjoy!

About Me

My photo
Decorah, IA, United States
Hi! I'm Amanda, I am currently a sophomore at Luther College and am majoring in Elementary Education. I adore kids and cannot wait to become a teacher someday! At Luther, I am involved in Alpha Phi Omega, PALS, Cheerleading, and I work in a kindergarten classroom. In my spare time I enjoy being outdoors, traveling, biking, walking, and doing fun things with my family and friends. I try to live my life to the fullest everyday!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Authenticity

     According to Wikipedia, authenticity, "refers to the truthfulness of origins, attributions, commitments, sincerity, devotion, and intentions."  I define authenticity as an individual being their true, honest, and genuine self in any situation.  Authenticity is a really important characteristic to display every day throughout one's life so other people can get to know another individual for who they really are.  In addition, I feel it is equally important for teachers to display authenticity in their classroom so students realize the importance of this quality.
     When it comes to education, I feel that there is no limit to expressing authenticity unless it is harmful to students, co-workers or parents.  I believe it is very beneficial to students and the overall achievement of a classroom if a teacher is truthful about grading, projects, rubrics, sources, and homework.  I feel if a teacher is truthful about these factors, the students will better understand what is going on and what the expectations for them are inside and outside of class.  In addition, I feel that the more authenticity a teacher has, the more the students will have, as well.  By having this openness, there should not be any confusion or misunderstandings.  However, teachers should not express authenticity to a point that is violating rules or limitations, or harming relationships.  That is why teachers should follow the motto, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all."  By following this motto, teachers will express their authenticity in appropriate and helpful ways.
     If teachers are not authentic, students as well as parents and other co-workers will quickly be able to tell through changes in body language, attitudes, expectations, and miscommunications.  If a teacher is not authentic, I feel like they are almost wearing a mask because the person that they are appearing to be is not the same person as who they are inside.  Teachers laking authenticity will appear to be careless about their job and students.  In addition, they will have a poor attitude about their tasks as a teacher and the impact they have on a child's life.  Lastly, teachers that lack authenticity will be a source of miscommunication as they will be telling one student something completely different than they told another.  Because of a teacher's a lack of authenticity, students will feel betrayed or even confused as to who the person really is that is educating them.
    In order to learn if a teacher is seen as "fake" or not authentic with students, administrators need to observe and visit with various individuals.  By observing the classroom, an administrator can view how the teacher reacts and adjusts to their presence, in comparison to how they truly are when not being observed.  Next, administrators need to talk with fellow teachers to see what their feelings are about the teacher and his/her practices.  In addition, someone of higher authority should try and talk to the students.  However, if the students do not say much, it is best to go to the parents.  Visiting with parents will allow administrators to hear about what students share when they get home from school and how they like their teacher.  Children are more apt to share and discuss school related feelings with parents than they are with people of authority from their school.
     Throughout my school years, I experienced a couple teachers with authenticity problems.  These teachers seemed to have a different personality all the time.  Some days they were caring, some days they were crabby, and other days you could tell that they hated their job.  In addition, these teachers would act one way to students in class, and then when you would see them in the hall a few minutes later talking to another teacher, they would be completely different.  Also, these teachers never really stayed true to their rules, intentions, or obligations...you could never rely on them to give you feedback or to get assignments back on time.  Because of these teachers' lack of authenticity, I felt like I was no one and I ended up not learning anything in the class.  After these experiences, I have realized how important it is as a teacher to always be myself and never change my personality based on different circumstances or surroundings.  No matter how I act, children will always notice and follow after my example.

No comments:

Post a Comment